Fairfax Family Practice
by Dr. Alex Krist
We have transformed our patient care overnight here at Fairfax Family Practice. For a week and a half now we have been:
- Screening people by phone before they come it for resp symptoms
- Screening at the front door when they show up
- 1st floor is resp symptoms only and all staff and clinicians are in full protection gear
- 4th floor is non-resp only
- Putting in places protocols for addressing resp symptoms (when to come in, testing for strept and flu, when to send to testing centers – not available yet)
- Converted 80% of visits to virtual to protect all doctors and staff
- Starting Monday close the office and make mostly everything virtual
- Small set of 1-2 doctors and nurses to see people acutely in office – after triaged virtually and need to be seen (e.g. abscess for draining)
- Working with Inova to create drive through testing centers at Fair Oaks and elsewhere
- Setting up a station to give wellchild shots only (rest of wellness to be virtual)
- Created a response team to manage sick patients who have been triaged to home care for close monitoring
We are preparing to consider having to staff overflow hospitals and assisting in staffing our ICUs if things get worse.
And at the same time, all the shareholders cut their pay in half so we can continue to pay all our staff full salaries and not stress them financially.
We are committed to taking care of our community and reducing the risks of coronavirus spreading.